My FoodSaver turns 25, and fixes the Air Conditioning

FoodSaver V2244 — a more recent version of the original that I have.

With anything I carry in the RV, it’s nice when it can perform more than one function.  Such is the case for my FoodSaver vacuum sealer–it gets used regularly preparing food for the freezer, and for cooking sous vide.  But it also falls in the “tool” category as well.


How’s that?  Well, it’s actually a pretty good vacuum pump. I had to replace the air conditioning condenser on the car, and the FoodSaver has been called into action (on more than one car, no less) to pull a vacuum to get it ready for charging.  On the bottom of the lid, there’s a hose connection that will fit an 1/8″ hose barb, and with another fitting, can adapt to the flare fitting on the AC gauge set.

Evacuating the repaired system prior to charging.
Evacuating the repaired system prior to charging.

It may not be the fastest, but it’s able to meet the manufacturer’s  charging spec (-14.6 psig) in less than a minute.  I tend to run it a little longer for good measure, but it’s probably not necessary.


So what about my FoodSaver?  It was a hand-me-down when I graduated from high school, and has been with me ever since.  It’s not exactly pretty–the white plastic has yellowed some–but it still works just fine, now at a little more than 25 years old.  I’ve repaired the heat strip once during that time, but it was just a matter of re-gluing the protective cover in place.

So–if you want another gadget for the kitchen, and need to convince the mechanic it’s good for him (or her) too, there you go.  If you’re the tool buyer, expand your budget just a bit by showing it works in the kitchen too!




Replacing PowerTech Generator Mounts

Last time, I briefly mentioned that the mounts on my generator were in need of replacement.  You can see in the picture below that the rubber had deteriorated quite a bit, and was an oozy, greasy mess.

Old, partially collapsed mount.

PowerTech sells a replacement mount for my generator, but at over $60 each, plus shipping, I felt it was severely overpriced.  It looked generic enough, so I figured I could find what part they used or a compatible substitute.

Sure enough, a Lord (or Doosan) J-20922-2 mount matches up and does the job, at half the price.  Showhauler anchored it to the motorhome body with two bolts (3/8″ hex head), and a 14mm hex head bolt went up from the bottom into the generator.  It could have been easier, except that the hole to get to the bolt directly from underneath wasn’t big enough to get a 14mm socket through–the bolt into the generator had to be dealt with with an open-ended wrench.  Fortunately, the generator was light enough (ha!) that a pry bar could lift it enough to slide the mount out.

What’s left of one of the old mounts.

The old mount was obviously long gone, supporting the weight of that corner without any rubber in between.  With any luck, the new mount will be good for quite a few years.

New mount installed.
New mount installed.

While I was in there, I also replaced the fuel filter.  It was probably long overdue, as I’d never done it–and finally figured out that the number printed on the old filter was missing a digit.  I was able to cross-reference it to a Baldwin BF7648 or Luber-finer FP588F, and the fuel pump took care of filling the filter and re-priming the injection pump.